Thursday, October 2, 2008

Lessons Learned at the Laundromat:

  1. It takes only 2 1/2 hours to do 15 loads of laundry at the laundromat.
  2. Black garbage bags work well when you don't have a zillion laundry baskets.
  3. Save your back, have the kids unload!
  4. While the kids unload the van, start washin'. The first load will be ready to go to the dryer by the time the last load hits the wash.
  5. Always bring the Ipod with Charlie Brown reruns downloaded. Makes for a peaceful start.
  6. When it's time to dry, check to see if the quarter slot is covered with tape before putting your clothes in.
  7. Dry two loads together.
  8. Nine year olds think the laundromat is cool; therefore, they are excellent helpers.
  9. Seven year olds watch the dryer saying, "There goes the Little Mermaid washcloth!" and "I think I'm gonna be sick!"
  10. When doing mass amounts of laundry, don't bring a magazine. You won't have time to read it.
  11. The hum of dryers may actually help children focus on their math homework.
  12. The laundromat drink machine is out of everything except purple Gatorade.
  13. It's worth the embarrassment of walking in and out with fifteen loads of laundry to come home to an empty laundry room.
*This post is dedicated to my sweet friends who never believe me when I say my house is a disaster. Thanks for your naivety!*

4 comments:

Heather said...

Katie, if you took 15 loads of laundry to the laundromat so that you wouldn't have to do them one by one at home, I think you should win an award for being brilliant. I would have never thought of that.

Nanette R. said...

Great use of time and a great idea to get a sense of accomplishment. Now the Thompson family is walking around in their underwear so they won't dirty the nice, clean clothes! :-)

KT said...

um, I believe you
I do like doing mounds of laundry at the same time. I do it when we come back from a long trip...even better if I can do it before we come home, makes coming home sweeter.

Katie Thompson said...

You guys are too nice. Did I mention I didn't even get the towels/linens done?
Nanette, it is tempting to just stay in pjs for a couple of days so I can enjoy the lack of laundry.