Monday, August 25, 2008

my other Jane...

So there's Jane, my daughter, and there's Jane, my grandmother.

But did you know there was another Jane in my life?

Last night I finally reached my goal of reading all Jane Austen's novels. I had read Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice before. This summer I read the other four: Emma, Mansfield Park, Persuasion, and Northanger Abbey. I loved them all. They have all the similarities of setting and period, and even quite a few repetitious names. But they are so different! Some started slow, some ended rather flat, some were downright comical!

To celebrate this journey, I have added a "Jane Austen quotes" application to my blog. So check in daily to see the insights, wisdom, and humor of my other Jane...

3 comments:

KT said...

which one should I read first? And when you read it to yourself, do you have to keep up the accent?

Katie Thompson said...

I would recommend that you read "Emma" first. It's a pretty comical story of a young matchmaker who has no interest in marriage for herself, until...
The accent is optional smarty pants.

Nanette R. said...

I was kind of wondering the same thing about the accent, because I found myself reading the quote in a British accent. Maybe I'll try reading some Jane Austen, too.