Monday, August 18, 2008

the meek shall inherit the earth, so I've got nothin'

I read a great devotion this morning from I Peter 3:4 about "the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price." Thankfully the author was upfront about her own shortcomings. I came away thinking that meekness truly resides in the soul, and that I could surely muster up enough self control and serenity to get through the first day of school without totally losing it.

However...

We were one hour and fifteen minutes in when the tiny eruptions began, one right after another, in my brain. I repeated the same instruction to one child at least nine times, yet it remained undone as the seconds on my new clock ticked away. I talked through a review of last year's math slowly with the other child until they couldn't recall a simple addition fact and burst out in tears.

So here I sit, having cut the school day in half, feeling like I was just hit by an eighteen wheeler. The good news is that I only slightly raised my voice one time, the children have not complained (yet) about their new chore charts, and they are off the spend the afternoon with my dad so I can go meet our new nephew when he is born via c-section in a couple of hours.

I have about twenty hours before another day is in full swing. I know it's going to take some prayer and meditation on the Lord to acquire this thing called meekness, and I know the task will never be complete. And I bet the admission that I can't muster it up with determination and self control is the first step to getting my eyes off myself and turning them to the I AM.

No comments: