Monday, September 1, 2008

While waiting...

So while my dad was in and out of the hospital this week waiting for relief from excruciating pain, I was worried to say the least. I'm so thankful that dad got his long-awaited diagnosis of shingles so he could get some kind of relief from his pain. But while we waited, I found myself reflecting on the things that my dad used to say were important to him, songs that he wanted us to remember at the end of his life. While I hate sounding morbid, you've got to understand that I truly, truly cherish my father. He is wonderfully imperfect and radiantly awaiting heaven, and I expect Him to zoom on out of this world as soon as the Lord will let him. This song came to mind, though we haven't sung it together in a long, long time. It was a blessing to redirect my thoughts to the Lord as I read over the less familiar third verse, remembering the beautiful gift of Jesus and the sometimes painful work of sanctification.

So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
Till my trophies at last I lay down;
I will cling to the old rugged cross,
And exchange it some day for a crown.

In that old rugged cross, stained with blood so divine,
A wondrous beauty I see,
For ’twas on that old cross Jesus suffered and died,
To pardon and sanctify me.

To the old rugged cross I will ever be true;
Its shame and reproach gladly bear;
Then He’ll call me some day to my home far away,
Where His glory forever I’ll share.

3 comments:

Nanette R. said...

Not morbid at all . . . just a beautiful and healthy and expectant view of what will happen at the end of your dad's life on earth, whenever that will be. I'm glad that you and your dad (and your mom, too) have such a close relationship. You are all wonderfully special people!

Bethany Grace Krebs said...

I love you Aunt Katie! And I love Pop too, how is he?

KT said...

Oh Kate, are you trying to make me cry?
I agree, it is beautiful to see your dad and his walk with the Lord.
I have heard my dad sing that song sooo many times.