Monday, September 8, 2008

Fever!

Well, I finally have it...the fever. House fever, that is. I've never really had it before, so I thought I might be immune. Alas, I am not. In the last two days I've spent two or three hours (that I did not have to spare) looking at houses online. (I will not name the friend who exposed me to this illness, but you know who you are!)

One discovers things about oneself when pouring over the many listings. I now know that I am a yard snob. Nothing less than .3 acres looks satisfactory, and if there isn't an ancient shade tree somewhere it'll be a tough sell.

Also, I am praying that we don't purchase a split level home...not that there's anything wrong with that! I just don't enjoy the little three or four step diddies all over the place. I also want an entry with no stairs so all the old folks in our life can actually come visit us.

And there has to be a common room that does not contain a television, so one living room is not sufficient. There's gotta be a den or bonus or something, and that something will probably double as a school room...

That thing I've dreaded so long: a school room. There are families all over who set up a school room, complete with student desks, chalkboard, bulletin board, those wavey borders, and a bell. I am not one of those people. Instead we have become a family without a dining room because the d.r. table is covered with papers, books, laptop, bags, and all the other stuff that "normal" families drop on their tables.

And in my dream world, there is a guest bedroom tucked away decorated in sky blue and white with fresh flowers and natural light and a great view of my million dollar landscaped garden.

Oh yeah...can you say "two bathrooms" ???

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I hate to say this, but this would be a good market to buy in. There are bound to be a bunch of foreclosures around - there are 4 on our street alone. :( Often the bank just wants to get what is left on the note, maybe a little more, but they might just want to move it in this market.

Nanette R. said...

I will be praying for you to have wisdom as you decide whether to feed or starve this "fever". I think it's great to have a good idea of what you do/don't like, but also to keep an open mind, because you never know something you wouldn't give a second glance could become your dream home. Keep us posted!

Heather said...

Sigh. Your guest room sounds perfect.

Katie Krebs said...

so y'all are moving, huh? Do you want to rent us your house? (just kidding...sort of...)

KT said...

I am telling you, that house we saw has all of those things, except the stairs, a hole in the floor, a bathroom that needs repaired...okay, maybe it doesn't have it all, but it does have the right price, and it is down the road from me. 118,000 and in foreclosure.
Take your time sweet friend. At least you aren't having to look at school zones! That is a HUGE plus!