Friday, August 21, 2009

anonymity (spellcheck)

Who new anyone would still be reading? Thanks, friends.

Last night I saw Taming of the Shrew at Shakespeare in the Park, by myself. I've found in the past three years that this is something I really enjoy seeing on my own. Not many people love Shakespeare, and I've always done a pretty decent job at interpreting his quirky language. I like to go early with a book and some dinner and enjoy the anonymity of sitting in a crowd where no one (usually) knows me. Sometimes I wonder what they think when they see me. Do they see someone who is enjoying her time alone? Or do they think, "poor girl, no one to talk to". Do you ever wonder what impressions strangers have of you? It's just a curiosity. Do they look at your clothes? your stuff? your expressions? When my kids aren't there to define me, my husband, my friends, my church, my hobbies...how do you judge a book WITHOUT a cover?

2 comments:

Lorie said...

Geoff & I met at Shakespeare in the Park in 2000 & we've been every year since. We haven't made it yet this year but we will. It's tradition, afterall. I get too self-conscience when I try to do something like that by myself. I wonder too much about what others are thinking. I always wonder what others are thinking of me. Sometimes I realize they probably aren't thinking about me at all but that doesn't keep the negative thoughts away. I'm very proud of you for feeling comfortable enough to go enjoy an evening by yourself. I probably need to learn to do that.

-blessed b9, Catalyst4Christ said...

Wanna get ideas
from our URLs?