Monday, November 24, 2008

Off you go...

So last night I had to make a Target run, then I went to return a Redbox movie at McDonald's. When I pulled in I saw a man walk up to a car, undoubtedly asking for money. He was wearing pajamas and holding his hands up, which I guess is supposed to make us trust him. I decided to brave it and return my movie. While I stood at the machine I could hear him saying, "I just don't know what we're gonna do!...Oh thank you, thanks so much, God bless you." I knew I would be next on the list, but I was determined to rent a movie.

I glued my eyes to the screen and scrolled through new releases, but in my peripherals there he was. He was about ten feet away, again with the hands up, saying "mam, I hate to bother you but..."

If Chris had been there he would tell you that I would have listened and if I believed the story at all I might have given him the few dollars I had with me. I like helping people who are used to hearing no. BUT Chris was not with me, and I recalled a hilarious and empowering conversation I had with Katie Jo a few months ago.

I turned to him, held up my "talk to the hand" hand, and said "I don't talk to strange men who come up to me at night when I am by myself." And yes, there was a little bit of Woodbine attitude in it.

The guy apologized, walked away, and drove off in his car that is worth more than both of mine combined.

No comments: