Friday, April 4, 2008

I love the farmers, but...

I woke this morning from a rather odd dream* to the redundant sound of rain again. I love the farmers, and we prayed for rain every single day of the drought last summer. I'm happy for the earth and all, but come on! Can we have a little break? (I wouldn't have survived if I was Noah's kid.) The walls are starting to close in.

Yesterday as we battled through multiplication again, I saw a light bulb come on over Jane's head. But instead of moving through quickly, she continued to drag her feet! When I asked her to explain she said, "It's raining outside, and there's really nothing else to do but school work." So her assignments spread out to a four and a half hour school day...and she didn't mind.

At this moment, the kids are playing CD's and coaching each other on their tumbling skills in the living room. I figured I should just let them get some energy out before gluing their backsides to the chair for a couple of hours. At least they're having fun!

As for me, I'm looking out the window at my bradford pear tree whose little white blossoms have been either blasted or blown off by the rain. Well, I'll not be blasted or blown off by one too many rainy days. The last couple of weeks have been pretty good for me, and I know I can hold out for Sunday when we'll have blue skies and a warm breeze again.




*our neighbor's (who is never home) sister (who knows if he has one) was burning down all our beautiful blooming bushes (we have none) because she thought we had the perfect life since we have such a cool car (not) and house (neither belong to us) and lots of great friends (true). Turns out she'd had an encounter with the devil.

3 comments:

planet.nebular said...

what do you mean burning down your bushes?

Katie Thompson said...

Ummm, I think she was just going to the lower part of the bush and setting in on fire with matches or something. There's no method to the madness of my nightly dreams.

planet.nebular said...

Oh, it's a dream. I missed that part.